Kidney friendly stir fry (Serves 4)
Try using a small amount of lower salt soy sauce, and flavouring with other low salt ingredients, to make a delicious quick stir-fry.
– 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
– 2 Tbsp sesame oil
– 500g meat or tofu (beef, pork or chicken cut into strips)
– 2 cups sliced vegetables e.g. capsicum, carrot, celery, zucchini, snow peas, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots
– 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
– 2 Tbsp ginger, finely chopped
– ½ teaspoon dried chilli (optional)
– ¾ cup sliced green onions/shallots
– 1 Tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
– 3 Tbsp mirin
– White pepper
– Sesame seeds
– Basmati rice or vermicelli noodles to serve
In a large frying pan or wok, heat half the vegetable oil and sesame oil until hot.
Add half of meat to pan and stir fry until just cooked through, then remove from pan. Repeat with second half of meat
Add remaining oil to pan with garlic, ginger and vegetables and cook for about 3 minutes, tossing often
Return meat to pan with vegetables, and add soy sauce, mirin and white pepper to taste and cook for a couple of minutes
Serve stir fry with rice or noodles, sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy
Disclaimer: This recipe may not be suitable if you are on dialysis, have low kidney function or have been given specific dietary or lifestyle advice from a healthcare professional, please check with your healthcare professional to see if this recipe is right for you.